Saturday, November 24, 2007

Safety, security and an atmosfear


Here’s a rant anyone who’s known me in the last decade will recognize; what’s up with all the gated communities? We are passing through some nice areas, and some not so nice, but there seems to be many more “gated communities” than when I was a kid. I’m not sure I remember ever seeing one until not too long ago.

People who move to an upscale, crime free area who immediately put industrial strength deadbolts on the door, and an alarm system in the house and teach their children of “stranger danger”.

As for me, I’d rather be robbed than live in fear. Fear is a full time corrosive thing, that can suck the mercy and humanity right out of you. Think of the drivel that idiots like Lou Dobbs and Tom Tacredo spew at their fans- “Fear Hispanics! Fear invasion.” The result of such vitriol is NOT mercy and not Christ-like and NOT, in my humble opinion, very American.

I don’t think I’ve been robbed in decades, though I never lock the house, routinely leave the keys in the car, and go to scary countries carrying lots of cash. What a waste it would have been to spend that time in fear.

Don’t be afraid. They use your fear.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's not primarily about safety right now, IMHO. In a society where the gap between the haves and have-nots hasn't been this great since the 1930s, living within a gated community in a status thing. If economic conditions continue the way they're going however, and the have-nots get angry enough, it may become a safety thing. But it is sad, isn't it, these gated communities. Like in a Third World country.

aaron osborn said...

Right on.
Fear is the killer.

Once planted in the psychy of the unsuspecting individual, fear grows rapidly choking the life out of every single human activity there is to take joy in. I am constantly amazed at the scociety of fear I live in.
Be free, don't be afraid.
That said, I think one has to come to terms with death. In their own way, once that fear has been mastered, sushed, and accepted, life moves on beautifully.
Anyway,
I hate preaching sorry, didn't mean to.
I just feel that fear has such a death grip on just about everyone. It sucks, and makes my neighbors kranky, unfriendly, and myself unhappy.

And america believes(or some heads of major media companies are preaching) that we can set up and live in a completely safe society.

That ain't ever going to happen.
Plus,
danger is fun.

Also,
Comfort is the killer.
Fear and comfort. Tricky bastards.

Cheers!

Steve said...

FEAR AND COMFORT

Like the parable of the sower said:

" ...the cares of this world and the deceitfulness of wealth...."
cause one's life to be fruitless

lowernine.org said...

jeff,
since the gate makes up only about 2% of the perimeter, i prefer to call them "fenced communities."

rick