Sunday, April 19, 2009

This I Believe


I’m listening to This American Life on NPR (of course) and the topic is, “This I used to believe”. This leads me to need to repeat a rant that I’ve given live many, many times.

I’ve offered this up to dozens, possibly hundreds of Christians, and I’ve gotten no answer more satisfying than, “I never thought about it that way.” American Christians seem to have issues that drive them nuts. They loathe the idea of abortion. This is pretty consistently held across most Evangelical groups and exploited by Republicans. Abortion is murder. Period. Always wrong, never acceptable, forbidden by God, Jesus and Mary.

Nobody is pro-abortion. Abortion is required as a correction of a mistake. If no mistakes were ever made, no abortions would be needed. But humans are flawed and always have been. The word “prostitute” occurs hundreds of times in the bible. You have to assume prostitutes frequently became pregnant, and it’s also safe to assume that pregnant prostitutes get very little business. Given no contraception at the time that we know of, they must have practiced abortion, whether by some mix of herbs or falling down a staircase.

And yet, the issue of the evil of abortion, so important to many Christians that it is their single issue in all political choices is never, not once, called out in the bible as a problem. Why is that? Jesus hung with hos and never called them on it. Not once. Never. What is wrong with these people? Shouldn’t your most important political issue be at least mentioned in your holy book?

0 comments: