Tuesday, January 8, 2008

How do you explain bad behavior by "adults" to children?

My friend David wrote this. It was too good not to pass along.



It was a beautiful day in the park. I had just picked

up Nyan from skateboarding. As we were heading to the car, we ran

into a local ex politician walking the grounds. Somehow the exchange

of greetings and pleasantries became a stream of, ignorant and

bigoted comments from him, that I suppose were an attempt at humor.

Nyan looked at me quizzically and I just smiled as if to say I'd

explain it later.



I don't usually engage people who operate on this level. It's an

energy draining experience and usually unproductive. Unfortunately,

It's not the first time I had encountered bad behavior from this

individual, but I know that he does have a few good qualities that

emerge once in a while, so.....



Suzi always says that people get offended way too easily. And I

have always tried to see past the seemingly "offensive" remarks and

actions of folks that I encounter.



I view bad behavior as merely a symptom of personal issues or hang

ups. So I try to remember to stand sideways and let the sh*t fly by.

I've seen plenty of loudmouth bullies, especially in politics, behave

in ways that would have landed them in the corner in kindergarten. But

how do you explain this kind of socially retarded behavior to a child?





Here's the point of this letter:



I truly believe that no matter what the current mode of

existence someone is in, their basic spirit is good and true and in

harmony with the universe. When we remember this, all conflicts

become superficial and vanish in the really big picture.



"Namaste" The Sanskrit word meaning (I bow to you) says it all.



Namaste. "The Light of God in Me recognizes and honors The Light of

God in You and in that recognition is our Oneness."





So what do you tell the child?

I would say this: "Sometimes people become out of balance with their

true inner nature."

When they forget who they truly are, they can become needy, greedy,

seedy....(or worse yet, politicians)

Just kidding. I've known some righteous politicians in my time.

Unfortunately, in small towns (countries) like ours, often the

cream does not rise to the top.

So maybe it's best to teach the child to look past the behavior,

look past the words, and look for the spark that may be nurtured and

educated. We can all choose to focus our attention on the positive

aspects of any persons' behavior. Maybe that little spark of light

can overcome their darkness.



Don't get me wrong though, We have to be aware. Passive peace

mongering can be good to a point. But when an actual threat is

bearing down, sometimes a bloody nose (metaphoric or otherwise) is

the correct response.



I'm going to practice some Piano now, then walk the dogs,

look at the stars, and think about new ways to connect with and draw

out that divine spark. And I wish you all peace and happiness in the

new year.




I Bow to You..... Namaste



David

1 comments:

Unknown said...

hello Jeff..,
Stories like this can imbibe good behaviour in kids.