Monday, January 21, 2008

Faith without works is apparently Methodist



You gotta love Christians. Just when I thought I'd give the hypocrisy a break, they throw this one right in my face. In an earlier post, I cited the destruction of the homes of a hell of a lot of poor black people in New Orlean's Ninth Ward two and a half years ago, and the almost total lack of effort to improve the lot and lots (sic) of these people. Christ, you will remember spent most of his utterances requesting assistance to the poor. I recall none in which he called for houses to be built, never mind enlarged for him, his Pop and the flock.

Well, a short drive from New Orleans we come upon a group of campers working on the addition to a church in the lovely tourist town Cedar Key. They've all got nice rigs, and all their tools, and I'm sure the folks back at the home church give them a big shout out and clap them on the back for doing the Lord's work. Do any of these people read the Bible past Leviticus? Sheesh.

Don't see no poor people 'round here. No sah. And none of them troubling darkies. I pondered and pondered but couldn't figure it out. So I went back to ask. Whoops! The site is deserted by 3:30 on a weekday. I never got to ask if they didn't think there should be housing for everyone before they start in on another one for the Big Guy? I mean, how many does he need?

WWJD? I think he'd choose to meet at the High School gym (remember- naked and drinking wine)and spend most of his time trying to figure out how to house and feed the poor.

0 comments: