Monday, March 3, 2008

The feces begins to hit the oscillator


When I was a high school boy, I lived in Pennsylvania. My parents were teachers, and though education was valued, times were tight. Most of my education was financed by work and loans from PHEAA (Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency). It was a just and true and fine relationship, and I was able to get an excellent education alongside Kennedies, Fricks, Clays, Morgans, Fords, Rothschilds and a lot of other ilk I would otherwise never been able to mingle among.

Last week, PHEAA stopped making student loans. There's no money available. Sorry. No college. No boost out of the hood.

How long does it take before some high acheiving, low income kid from the projects who's denied a shot at college and the American Dream comes out with an attitude and an AK-47? For what it's worth, under those circumstances, I'd fund him or her. And their friends. And neighbors.

This is exactly where the US loses what precious little prestige and influence the AssClown President Bush hasn't managed to lose yet. It was bad enough when we lost all the manufacturing jobs that let high school grads achieve middle-class lifestyles, now the idiots are trying to squeeze the rest of y'all out of the college route to the middle class.

This will be ugly and it's coming soon. God have mercy on our souls.

4 comments:

Seth said...

Before funding the AK-47s, I hope you'll consider organizing a rescue for PHEAA.

anne said...

it truly is puzzling how messed up things have gotten in this country
there will be no way for our future generations to compete in the work force,
i wish i had more intelligent comments, but i get too emotional
by the way, thanks for funding this college degree

calypsonian said...

Jeff- I posted my comment after the wrong blog. I posted my comment after the iphone comment. This is from Freddy, who you met at the sushi place in the French Quarter.

Mr. Osborn said...

We need some more rants!