Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Glimpse of the Apocalypse



Today’s New York Times has a front page story that features the concerns of the Chinese premier over the US’s ability to pay the trillion US dollars it owes Beijing. They seek assurances that the money won’t go up in smoke. As a friend of mine much smarter than me once said, “They’ll get their dollars back. Can’t promise what those dollars will be worth.” The point is (obviously to economists) that the best way for a nation (from its’ point of view) to pay off deft is to inflate the currency.

Unfortunately, this is rarely the lenders’ view. Should the Chinese stop loaning us money, the price of our bonds would have to fall so someone would want them. Uncle Sam’s crazy bond blowout! Prices so low, it’s insane!

Brief note here. As the price of a bond falls, the interest rate goes up. The dollar denomination is what you get at the maturity of the bond, either months or years from now. Here’s how it works:

I loan you $90 for your offer to pay me $100 in a year. I earn $10 for my trouble, so I get (10/90=0.11) 11% interest.

Later, I loan you $80 for your offer to pay me $100 in a year. I earn $20 for my trouble, so I get (20/90=0.22) 22% interest.

Much later I loan you $70 for your offer to pay me $100 in a year. I earn $30 for my trouble, so I get (30/90=0.33) 33% interest.

Get it? The cheaper the loan (basically a 1 year $100 bond) the higher the interest. And while the full $100 has to be paid on all three loans, until the end of the year (the maturity), the first guy is screwed if he needs his money sooner, since no one will give him the $90 he loaned, just the $70 the last guy got.

Throw in the higher inflation inevitable with falling bond prices, voila! You see why the Chinese have their knickers in a knot. They can sell (or just stop buying) and the value of their holding will fall in dollar terms immediately, or they can hold on and have the value of the dollar decline, getting back at maturity the right number of dollars, but much less value in what they can buy with these new smaller dollars.

Got it? Good.

Basically, we all know that the US Treasury isn’t like Scrooge McDuck’s basement, with piles of cash and gold lying around. To fight the Iraqi war, bail out the banks and stimulate the economy, we’ll need to borrow the money from guess who?

As noted previously, most Americans never saw this thing coming. Imagine being Chinese! They didn’t have a market economy the last time a nasty spell came around in the early 80’s. Yours truly was moving furniture for $3 an hour with an Economics degree from Trinity College. My friend who cleaned the Slurpee machine at 7/11 wasn’t a Pakistani immigrant. He was a native Californian with a Doctorate in Physical Chemistry.

I’ll be 50 this month, so I remember the hard times and have been cautious about risk, markets and debt. Any American under 50 never saw it first hand. Any Chinese of any age has never been through this. It will become very political, very contentious and very dangerous when 100 million newly middle class Chinese get sent back to the rural villages.

May you live in interesting times.

3 comments:

HDLee said...

I'll quote from "Another frightening Show about the economy"

http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1263

"Is it fair for me to be mad? and who should I be mad at?"

It is indeed going to get interesting when we see madness in masses : (

p.s. Steve, I like your bastard children of western colonialism comparison . . . so well put. . .

anne said...

frank and i appreciated this tutorial as we were just discussing the bonds and weren't sure what was what, frank's question is "where do you put your money today?"

Jeff said...

In the last 80 years or so, there have been 2 "uh-oh" periods when all the old rules broke. What was the "I wish I'd bought it in hindsight" investment of choice?

Gold. When I got out of college, I'd drive around job-hunting , and listen to AM financial radio. They NEVER EVER recommended holding ANY stock. Gov't bonds, gold and real estate were it.

Well, we know real estate took off, the bond bubble is in full swing, so what next? Buy Gold. Physical 1oz. American Eagles. Keep them somewhere safe. (Duh.)

If someone tells you it's a dumb idea, ask how they did over the last year and a half. This is your uncle talking crazy again. And where has that gotten him?