Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Unsubscribe


I’ve had an AOL account for nearly 20 years, and over time I’ve ended up on a seemingly endless series of subscription and spam list. Back in my day, you never responded to these things, because it simply proved it was a valid account and the volume of spam increased. Recently I realized fully 90% of my inbox contained crap I didn’t want. I mentioned it to Liz, and she said she’d been unsubscribing, and it seemed to be working.

Lo and behold, there is an unsubscribe button on most of these mailings. The trick is finding it. The graphics show in real scale and color the headline, and the unsubscribe button. One is obviously the first thing you see and the other, the last.

Bonus round- when you unsubscribe, they send you a confirming email, sort of a last slap in the face. Who knew?

2 comments:

Liz said...

Duh. I did!

Gloria said...

I was attached to aol for years, even when people like Paula and Susan would cajole me saying friends don't let friends use aol. I am seriously, happily, unreservedly recommending a switch to gmail. There is NEVER EVER ANY SPAM. I was so glad not to be having people tell me how to expand my non-existent private part.