Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tanned, rested and ready


Okay, it’s hard to rant in beautiful Maine, but a quick trip to Philly via JFK did the trick. I’d like to offer a few theological offerings and see if anyone can help me make sense of them. These came out of an ill-thoughtout economic/political/religious nighttime discussion with my aging parents. In my defense, she started it.

It was an interesting tidbit from our discussion that highlights the current Republican version of Christianity:

Me "Why would you support capital punishment when Jesus died from it?

Dad "Oh yeah, what if someone beat your wife to death?

Me "Well, I'm human, but I would hope I could forgive them eventually."

Dad "That's just nutty."

Me "Um, Dad, Jesus on the cross said of his killers, "Forgive them Father..."

Dad "That's not the same thing!"

In our little series here I’d like to address JC and the death penalty, the concept and practical results of hell, how much did JC give up by dying (less than my kid), an infallible Bible prior to spell checkers and original sin.


This should keep us going for a while.

1 comments:

anne said...

i don't agree with capital punishment, but not because it was what killed jesus,
but because it's 1, carried out unfairly, 2, completely giving up on a person's soul, and 3 gruesome
i know many people say, "it's biblical" and yes i guess it is along with alot of other "rules" that are not held up by the right wing
so i don't know
i jsut don't agree with it