Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hope for America



We're here in Nashville, Tennessee and I've got to say, I'm feeling a little optimistic. This is a sign in front of a Presbyterian church (I assume PCUSA) that shows some mercy, kindness and grace in spite of the general Evangelical calls for deporting anyone darker than a grocery bag. Maybe there's hope. After taking the pictures, I stopped at a small tienda (store) to pick up some dinner, and had the following conversation:

Me: "Hola. Hay comida caliente?"

Him: "What you want?"

Me: "The sign says "Hot Food To Go"."

Him: "Oh. Solly."

I realize I'm speaking with the Chinese proprietor of "Tienda de Mexico" in Nashville. There's hope for us.

1 comments:

Steve said...

sort of dejavu...do you remember going to Westminster Presbyterian Church in Eagle Rock? they had an illegal immigrant elder whose son became a chip That was before there was a tag of illegal, but every Chican felt put down regardless. I remember Mr Gutierrez humility and pride, and the great life he gave to his kids....and his great kids he gave to the U.S. Someday we might even remember what made America great. No, it was not Rockafeller!ljqqr