Friday, February 6, 2009

Small World and Rambling Thoughts


So I’m trying to work on the book, but lacking inspiration, I head for my favorite Key Largo Tiki bar, the always a good time Snappers. I fire up the Mac and I’m staring at the screen and somehow mange to start a conversation with 2 other guys at the bar who look vaguely familiar. The one guy says, “Do you have a brother?” and I mishear the question and say no. Then I hear him say, “I could have sworn that was Bruce Osborn’s brother.”

I say. “Did you say Osborn? That’s me.”

Turns out he works for my oldest brother, and has the job Bruce had 10 years ago, selling breast implants across South Florida. Obviously, the economy is killing his business. Hard to pay for new boobs when nobody’s working and insurance won’t cover it.

Anyway, things are fine in Key Largo, if a little cold for these parts. Hearing people bitch at the outdoor tiki bar here, cuz they need to wear a fleece or sweater to drink the afternoon away on a weekday is actually kind of funny. You get in a rut sometimes, but in a good way.

Sunday we’re headed for Key West for a four-day break from the hell we call Key Largo. The in-laws are in town and taking care of the dogs, so we have even fewer responsibilities than usual, which is to say damn near none. Looking forward to eating well, drinking too well, and lovely bike riding though the 95% of town the tourists don’t know about nor frequent. Just hoping the cruise ships aren’t 4 deep. Some of the most ridiculous assclowns roll off the cheap ones and make life hell. I’d ban them if I could. Maybe a nice global recession will force them to stay in one place and rent out staterooms as apartments. Oceanfront living at a discount price. Hope you only cook with a microwave. Interesting thought that there may we may see growth in apartment availability by turning cruise ships to apartments and McMansions into multifamily housing.

Last night we attended a party for friends who’ve been married 35 years. Though they married very young, it’s still pretty impressive. I talked to a friend who retired early after running a commercial fishing operation. When you’re making payroll, and doing actual labor and producing actual products, you gain a sense of awareness of the economy. He was the first guy I’ve talked to in a long time who “got” the idea of just how bad the economy is and how long and hard the slump will be. Usually, I feel like I’m walking around debt people who don’t even know they’re debt (sic). It’s sobering to see it coming and feel like so many people are just only going to start to get it one of these months. I wish people could grasp this thing, but ignorance is such a huge part of this thing called America.

I need to get o New Orleans sometime before Mardi Gras for a board meeting, but I can’t remember when Mardi Gras is. Always an interesting time to be had, but I wish I could get Harvey up there in a day and save the expense of a hotel. Gotta do the trip anyway, and keep getting them folks backs in their homes in the lower ninth ward. To help out or just check in, see lowernine.org.

That’s the end of this ramble for now.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

great to read the Blogs
Love the picture of the Homeland security travel bus with gun ports!