Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The economy


It’s like watching a slow motion car crash as the pundits get around to realizing that happy days aren’t here again and that a 25-year binge doesn’t end in a 6-month hangover. When Wall Street trashes the hotel room, taxpayers get the bill, and this one is a doozy.

The sense of normalcy is sort of worrying if you believe (as I do) that it’s early 1930 and the shit is in the air on the way to the fan, but everyone with a job and a paid up mortgage is in complete denial. The hard thing is to figure out what to do. Stock up on canned goods? Ammo? Water? Gold? Hard to say what’s best, but in a few years we’ll all know in hindsight what we wish we’d done now. And that’s frustrating, since that’s how I think. I always want to know what I will wish I’d done today 3 months from now, 6 months from now and a year from now, but I just have no idea what the hell that is.

Maybe it’s time to think about an alternative energy business. Something to focus on while the whole thing unfolds, instead of fixating on watching the house of cards collapse. I did the same damn thing on November 4, 2008. I sat in front of the TV and the laptop at 4 pm and started surfing for any info. By 10, I was asleep and missed all the good parts. Sometimes, being early is counterproductive.

Sort of like being on a sinking ship, if you’re near your lifeboat and wearing you personal flotation device it could probably seem boring just waiting for the end and the order to board. A catastrophe to be sure, but in such slow motion as to be boring.

0 comments: