Thursday, June 18, 2009

Live Free or Die


As we passed through New Hampshire today on the way from Maine to Essex Junction, I saw the great welcome sign that reads, “Welcome to New Hamphire: Live Free or Die”. This is a quote from a Revolutionary War New Hampshire resident and Continental Army General John Stark. For a reunion on a Vermont battlefield years after the war, the entire quote read, “Live Fee or Die: Death is not the worst of Evils”.

Compare and contrast with the prior administrations motto, “Be afraid of Dying. Damn the Constitution, full speed ahead!”

Anyway, the contrast was stunning and I can only be hopeful that the old American spirit will live to fight another day. Raise my chance of dying before reducing my liberties Mr. President. We were once the land of the free.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff, just wanted to let you know I discovered you're "rant" blog and subscribed to it in my RSS reader so I can keep up with your thoughts. Rich in the Keys.

HDLee said...

I think that death is going to be quite peaceful. . . but . . . I'm just a dizzy blonde living on the tip of Africa :)

Steve said...

hey! now that oyu have more than just me reading this great shit, you clam up!

How about looking at this article and ranting about the weirdness of adoptions worldwide?

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/story/cms.php?story_id=4508&page=0

Laci the Chinese Crested said...

I thought thay NH had guys in Flannel shirts and Bombardier Hats standing at the State line carrying AK-47 asking if you were living freely.

They would take you out of your car and kill you if you said "No".